“Any kind of ride, any day of the week”; the Meetup GABA calendar announces rides for almost every day (and some evenings) year round (currently 8-10 rides per week), organized and led by experienced ride leaders, for beginners to the experienced, speeds from 10-20+ mph, women's-only rides, with distances varying from 10-100, from mostly flat to long/steep climbs, from social no-drop to fast training rides, and on both road and gravel.
Currently the four major GABA supported ride events include the Owl’s Head Butte Century and Benson/Bisbee Overnighter in the Spring, Mt. Lemmon Climb in late Spring, and Tumacacori Tour in the Fall. Members get reduced fees for all GABA events.
GABA members come from a wide variety of backgrounds and making friends is easy during the after-ride coffeeshop/breakfast meetings, the Annual GABA party, the Speaker Quarterly members meeting, the annual ride to the Zoo, the Toy ride with hot chocolate and cookies, and the annual Ice Cream Social.
Accidents sometimes happen even when cyclists follow the law. GABA provides General Liability Insurance and Accident Medical Insurance for members (not non-members except for the first ride) while on club rides.
Members get discounts for GABA merchandise and GABA events.
GABA members are given free access at the GABA Bike Swap at the GABA booth to sell their own cycling equipment free of any reservation fees charged to non-members.
Participation in the bicycle repair program is the perfect place to learn bicycle maintenance. If you are new to cycling, you will have many experienced GABA Members around to help you learn the ropes.
Members may borrow single and tandem bicycle travel cases on a first-come first-served basis, free of charge (with a security deposit to cover damage).
The Paceline, with the latest cycling information, is distributed by e-mail to club members.
Benefits to the Cycling Community
In addition to the benefits membership provides to members themselves, a member of GABA contributes to the larger southern Arizona cycling community in many ways. Specifically, among other efforts:
- GABA coordinates the largest Bike Swaps in the southern US in the Spring and Fall each year drawing thousands of buyers and sellers in a friendly social atmosphere. It is a terrific way for members and non-members alike to upgrade bike equipment or to sell excess equipment.
- GABA’s Bike Repair Program works with various organizations to offer no cost repair of bikes and free bikes for children and adults so that they may experience cycling.
- GABA is a proud sponsor and partner with several organizations that strengthen and grow cycling culture in our community, such as UACycling, El Grupo Youth Cycling, BICAS, NAMI SEAZ, Salvation Army and other organizations
- GABA advocates on behalf of all cyclists in southern Arizona.
- GABA supports El Tour de Tucson with training rides, with GABA’s Tumacacori Tour training event, and with experienced ride leaders participating in the El Tour de Tucson bike patrol to assist riders during the event.
Becoming a member of GABA is a good way to become a fully recognized citizen within, and to contribute to, the southern Arizona’s cycling community.